Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Conclusion to Vegetarianism

I finished my 28 days of full on vegetarianism.

I definitely struggled the first week. I couldn't get into the groove of not having meat or not being satisfied without eating animal protein. However, over time I stopped craving meat and not eating it got much easier. I didn't have to give dinner or lunch a second thought really. Conclusion: It's not that hard

I also found that I felt much better toward the end of this experiment. I attribute this to eating a lot more vegetables than I was prior, unless you count french fries as a vegetable? Overall lesson (which I already knew) the "cleaner" you eat the better you feel or as my mom has always said to me "you are what you eat"

I did not walk into this blindly. I did a lot of research while being a vegetarian. I really understand the benefits of eating mostly plant based foods. Plant based foods have much of the nutrients we need and help our bodies work better. I also researched more of the ecological effects and social effects of the food we eat. I found a huge connection, one which I had known before but chose to ignore, between oil companies, big buisness and pharmacuetical companies all playing a part in the food we eat. I could go on and on about some distrubing things I found but I'm not going to. I basically decided that from now on I will try and eat as many organic plant based food as I can, and organic (grass-fed) meat when I do eat it and less processed foods. Of course this won't work everywhere and all the time but my plan is to be more aware of where my food is coming from overall.

I have a whole new appreciation for what goes in my body.

That includes all the baked goods I make. I still love to bake. And I love to bake using real butter, sugar, and heavy cream. I realize these aren't the best ingredients for you but I believe in moderation and even if you can't control yourself sometimes its ok to go a little sweets crazy. We've all done it.

And you must be wondering what my first meal back is?



A Ray's Hell burger! Oh sweet hamburger how I have missed you.




I couldn't help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...