Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Summer's here!

The sun is finally out, the pools are opening, farmer's markets are bustling and it even smells of fresh cut grass. This means one thing.......SUMMER!

Oh how I long for the days when school was out, at the pool all day, laying in the grass, picking veggies from the garden, the smells of grilling at night, catching firefly's in mason jars, glistening tan skin, days at the beach with salty hair, sand between my toes. Sigh.

Things are a little different now but I will do anything to bring back some of that summer feeling, especially with food.

I was at Eastern Market, a big outdoor and indoor farmers and flea market in DC, the other day and to my surprise there were piles and piles of fruit for sale. Some how I had lost track of time while sitting in my cubicle all day with no window and hadn't realized its almost June and of course fruit is coming into season.

There were heaps and heaps of glorious fuzzy sweet peaches! And lucky for me they let you try slices of the fruit before you buy it. I tried a slice of a white peach and bliss ensued.

So I bought 2!



What to do with 2 peaches?

Mini crisps anyone?


Yes please! Sweet, buttery, oats covering ripe delicious peaches.



These are so incredibly easy to make and taste like the essence of summer. Some food is just transporting and I find crisps such a food.

And if your peaches or strawberries or apples are a bit bruised, have no fear, put them in a crisp and it will be completely disguised by the layer of crunchy buttery oat topping. No will notice. Just call yourself Houdini.



Clearly if you have more fruit than 2 peaches by all means make a big crisp and then proceed to stand in the kitchen eating it directly from the dish.



I put this recipe together pretty fast, needless to say I didn't measure many things so this is my interpretation of what I did.





Peach Crisp:

2 white peaches

3/4 cup oats

3 Tablespoons butter

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

a pinch of allspice

a pinch of ginger

a pinch of cloves

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 Tablespoon granulated sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons flour

Instructions:




Cut up your peaches and place in a bowl with the ganulated sugar and flour.

In another bowl mix the oats, butter, spices and brown sugar until combined.

Disperse equal amounts of the peach peaches into 4 small ramikins. Top each with the oat mixture. Bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven.




Summer in a bowl.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that these exist in the world. There's nothing that says summer more PEACHES and honestly with a little vanilla ice cream...I'm pretty sure that heaven just comes down and kisses the earth.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...