Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July Cake Pops

I was never a 4th of July girl. It just wasn't my thing but the older I've gotten the more I've embraced the holiday. No, I don't hang flags everywhere or play songs about America or dress in red, white and blue. But I do bake for the 4th of July.

I wanted to make something super festive and I've been meaning to try making cake pops considering they are the new trendy baking item on the market today. So I made red velvet cake pops covered in white chocolate with blue sprinkles.


I will not lie, these ended up being a pain to make first and for most because I couldn't find lollipop sticks anywhere. The closest Michaels store is 45 minutes and I didn't want to make the trek so I ended up using bamboo kabob skewers cut in half.

After all America was built on ingenuity, right?

I just found these pops to be time consuming but I think they might just take practice.

But in the end these pops were worth the effort.



You literally bake a cake mash it all up and mix it with a can of icing. I used the box version to speed up the process but I'm sure you can use homemade.



The result is a bit of an electric red, but I was going for a bit of a kitchy dessert anyway so it all worked.

Then form the mixture into balls.



Stick them sticks in and refrigerate.



The dipping/covering the pops was the hardest part. The chocolate was thick and the cake balls were not that sturdy so I definitely lost some in the process.

The whole process was something I had to learn from by trial and error. Next time I think I will thin the chocolate out with some creme.



But in the end they turned out pretty cute and festive!



But most importantly delicious.


4th of July Cake Pops:

~Adapted from Bakerella

Red velvet box cake mix

1 can of cream cheese icing

lollipop sticks

1 bag of white chocolate chips

blue sprinkles


Instructions:

Bake cake according to box directions.

Once cooled mash cake up in a bowl and slowly add icing. I used the whole can but you can play around with the texture with more or less icing.

Roll into balls and place on a parchment lined sheet pan.

In a small bowl melt a small amount of white chocolate. Dip lollipop stick in the chocolate and place in the center of each cake ball.

Refrigerate the cake pops or flash freeze them for 15 minutes.

Once chilled, melt a large bowl of white chocolate and ladle the white chocolate over the cake pop. * When I tried to dip them the cake would fall off so I suggest pouring the chocolate over the cake. Remove excess chocolate by rotating the pop.

Place in styrofoam to dry. They dry very quickly so add the sprinkles within a minute of drying.

Then eat!



I'd like to think I'm promoting portion control with these but I'm pretty sure I ate quite a few.....

Happy 4th of July everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...