Tuesday, January 18, 2011

All it takes



Here in DC it doesn't snow as much as it ices.

Yup, so when I woke up my car was covered, no correction encased in ice. I literally had to chisel my way in.

And because everyone gets so scared of ice and snow (it is winter people) volunteers were no shows at work. That meant people were needed in the kitchen and 9 different routes had no drivers which would mean that a lot of people wouldn't get their meals.

What to do, what to do?

Staff had to brave the weather and deliver those meals.

At first I was thoroughly annoyed that I had to leave the warm office, drive around DC and run in and out of apartments all morning. But after seeing the clients it really made me realize the point of my job. Sometimes it is really easy to get caught up in things and forget the point. It's not always about what you feel like doing but more so what you should do.

This is not the first time I have done food delivery at work. What's pretty special is that two people in development are required to do deliveries everything thursdays. It keeps everyone closer to the mission and reminds people what we are working for.

I think that sometimes we all need that in our life. Something to bring us back down to earth and see the bigger picture.

Sometimes all it takes is a little reminder.

1 comment:

  1. It is so amazing to me what you are doing. I was just telling a fellow first grade teacher about your food blog and your new job adventure and sharing with her that I was completely inspired by it. What I find even more impressive is that you were able to go to Tailand and then come back and completely envelope yourself to something totally different, worthwhile, and meaningful...I've never shared that with you and thought this would be a good post to let you know! I had one of those moments a couple weeks ago while teaching that reminded me of why I enjoy it so much and how meaningful that job is for me (if you can call it a job bc believe me I have way too much fun on this "job" each day). Its about impacting a child's life and helping them on their jounrey through life, not just to pass a test or learn how to spell went (which apparently is hard in frist grade...understandably so). So kudos to you for finding what fits and whats meaningful for you! **Despite being bombarded by the snow, ice, and "winter" drivers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...