Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Figuring it Out

I'm really getting into this vegetarian thing.

It honestly just took some time to get use to not eating meat and the feeling of "loss" of satisfaction. With this new found sense of acceptance and accomplishment, I've been thinking outside the box (a little) for meal ideas. Also with the help of my little vegetarian guide from Shannon.

Today, while sitting at my desk surrounded by a velvet pink zebra print drag dress and a sequin purse and of course I had just gotten off the phone with a very nice drag queen, this idea/recipe came to me and I will pat myself on the back because this was a great idea.

Yes, I have a very interesting job. Would it make more sense if I told you the dress is for our director and he is a straight middle aged bald man?

Didn't think so.

Anyway, the meal idea: Brown rice and veggie stuffed portobello mushrooms with a roasted sweet potato and spinach salad.

I chose this mainly because I had most of the ingredients on hand and because it sounded pretty darn good.



Apparently I am really productive at work.




My boyfriend was even satisfied with this dinner which is saying a lot for a meat lover. He's been a pretty good sport about my vegetarian eating and has joined me most dinners.

You should probably try this.

Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms:

Serves 2

2 Portobello mushroom caps

1 cup cooked brown rice

1/4 cup onion chopped

1/4 cup bell peppers chopped

Handful of fresh or frozen then thawed spinach

1 minced garlic clove

1/4 cup shredded cheese

salt/pepper

Cook the rice according to your package instructions.

Marinate the mushroom caps in marinade of choice- I used Wegmen's rosemary Vinaigrette marinade. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Meanwhile in a frying pan sautee onions, peppers, garlic and spinach in cooking spray until soft. When rice is finished pour into frying pan and toss with veggies and salt and pepper

Scoop rice mixture into mushroom caps generously and top with cheese. Broil for 5 minutes until cheese is browned and melty


Roasted Sweet potato and Spinach Salad:

1 sweet potato peeled and cubed

2 Hand fulls of fresh Spinach leaves

1 teaspoon sunflower seeds

1 teaspoon dried cranberries

Peel and cut sweet potatoes into cubes and coat in olive oil, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes until crispy and browned.

Meanwhile toss spinach leaves with lite balsamic vinaigrette. Add Sunflower seeds and dried cranberries.

Top with cubed cooked potatoes

Then eat up!

1 comment:

  1. Those mushrooms look heavenly! I don't think I'll be joining you on your vegetarian quest but I will certainly be partaking in these lovely delectables :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...