Wednesday, April 13, 2011

You light up my life

Yesterday was a dreary rainy day here in DC and even more so because the day before was sunny and 85 degrees. April showers better bring May flowers or else!

What is one to do when they feel like all the sunshine has left their life? (dramatic much?)

Eat chocolate..lots of chocolate

I contemplated what to bake for awhile but one thing just wouldn't leave my mind.

Nutella.

I love Italians for creating this sweet, rich, creamy, thick, chocolate hazelnut spread. Swoon. The sunshine returns immediately when you put a spoon full of it in your mouth.


Don't worry I may or may not have eaten the nutella stuck to the counter.


I decided I needed to bake something with the nutella rather than eat the whole jar for my own well being, so I give you nutella brownies.



To be honest, I don't love brownies, I know, strange right? I love chocolate but brownies aren't really my thing, I'd actually eat a blondie any day over a brownie.

But today I actually thought a brownie with nutella and cream cheese icing might be the best idea ever. Rich chocolate with cream cheese icing cutting the sweetness...yes please.



I mixed up brownie batter and added nutella to the mix and baked the brownies in muffin tins.



When the brownies came out of the oven I noticed that each one had a small hole in the middle of the brownie.

Clearly the universe was trying to tell me something and I wasn't going to go against the universe.

So naturally I used a piping bag to fill each brownie.



Most people may have stopped here and thought "brownies+nutella is enough", me on the other hand, I had to take it to the next level.

Cream cheese icing.



Like my roommate Elise said "When life gives you lemons, make nutella brownies".

Truer words were never spoken.

* Truly and honestly, I believe that boxed brownie mix is just as good if not better than making it from scratch. This is the only time I will say this about a baked good but a boxed mix will make you that perfect squiggy brownie you desire and there is no shame in that. So go ahead and make these brownies with a boxed mix, I won't tell.



Nutella Brownies

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup nutella

Mix the sugar, oil and vanilla and then add each egg. Mix together

In another bowl mix cocoa powder, flour and baking soda

Combine and add 1/4 cup nutella (or however much you really feel like)

Grease muffin tins and fill 1/3 full

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes

Let cool

Pipe a small (or generous) amount of nutella in each brownie


Cream Cheese Icing:

1 package of cream cheese

1/2 cup of confectioners sugar or to taste

Mix sugar and cream cheese until sweet and soft


Top each brownie with plenty of icing.


Just try to eat only one, I dare you.

2 comments:

  1. I want one of these and when I say one I mean the whole batch

    ReplyDelete
  2. o. my. word. you're the most wonderful wonderful inventor. i want one immediately!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...