Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Birthday Cake



My cousin Ellen's Birthday is on Christmas so her day gets a little mixed in with all the holiday chaos. So every year I make her a birthday cake so that she has at least one thing that remains a constant birthday tradition. And she loves chocolate, I mean really loves chocolate.

This year I made a variation of the cake I made for my sister's Birthday 3 weeks ago. A yellow chocolate chip cake with a mint chocolate whipped cream icing.




I used the same cake recipe from here and just added chocolate chips.

The icing however is pretty darn special. I use this recipe as my go to chocolate mousse recipe, chocolate whipped cream recipe, and for cake filling and icing. It is ridiculously easy and it tastes sinful.

No, really it does.




Chocolate icing, mousse, and whipped cream recipe:

1/4 cup sugar

3 Tablespoons cocoa powder

1 1/2 cup heavy cream

*1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract (optional)

from Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book

Beat the heavy cream and add the cocoa powder and slowly add the sugar until it forms soft peaks.

done and done.

I totally recommend making a cup of hot chocolate and topping it with this magical chocolate cloud.

Holy yum.



enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...