Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Almond Joy

Work has been very stressful for me lately. It shouldn't be a surprise because it is my first real job, with full responsibilities but I am still taken aback a little. I swear I use to be good at multi tasking, listening and following through but when you are second guessing yourself all the time and getting yourself all worked up and flustered it is hard to be organized and get things right.

My coping mechanism?

Baking of course.

It is the one thing that I can really dive into and I don't think about anything else. Once that apron goes on, the world doesn't exist. I just bake and if it takes a long time so be it, if it goes a-rye so be it, I just let it take it's course. I guess you could say for the most part I feel confident baking and at this point I don't feel all that confident at work.

I haven't felt that I've had much time to bake so this weekend I made a point of it.

I baked almond cookies.



There is something about using ground nuts in a cookie recipe that gives it this wonderful buttery taste.



These cookies have few ingredients, are easy to make and taste fantastic.

They are light and buttery, perfect with a cup of tea.




It's funny how something as simple as baking can be so therapeutic and allow you to rejoin the world revived and renewed if only for a little while.

Almond Cookies

1 stick of butter

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup almonds

1 cup sliced almonds

1 cup flour

~ from Mrs. Field's Cookie Book

In a large bowl mix butter and sugar until it forms a paste. Then add the egg and extract.

In a food processor add 1/4 cup almonds and mix until almonds are ground finely.

Add the ground almonds to the butter mixture and then the flour until all combined.

Roll blobs of dough in sliced almonds and place on a greased baking sheet.

Bake for 15-18 minutes in a 350 degree oven.



I have a feeling these would taste pretty darn good with a hint of lemon zest or even chocolate drizzled all over the top.

2 comments:

  1. Light, buttery and perfect with a cup of tea? :)

    LOVE.

    Just the name Almond Joy makes me happy. Sorry to hear about your stress! It'll get better - do you enjoy your job? If it makes you feel any better, I am constantly stressed - and hate my job - double whammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these cookies! make them all the time to enjoy....ok fine maybe i eat almost all of them....but why not? stressed?? i'll bake with ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...